Fumed / Smoked Oak Edge Glued Panels
- 20mm & 26mm thick - others by arrangement (composites up to 100mm)
- Maximum size 3000x1250mm
- Typically available within 2-3 weeks in minimum 5 sheets per item
- Bulk packages of mini-bundles (10) and pallets (20)
- Supplied unfinished or with various coatings such as clear lacquer, oils, etc.
- D3 bonded for limited high moisture conditions
Fumed oak is also known as smoked oak and is in great demand because of its chocolate brown to almost black colouring, colourfastness, 3-dimensional look & feel, and natural silky sheen.
It is produced by placing European oak into a kiln filled with hot air saturated with ammonia. The tannins in the heartwood react with the ammonia in the air and turn an attractive brown, progressively darkening during its time in the fuming kiln. The smoked oak lumber is vacuum-dried to a wood moisture content of 8-12% during the drying and neutralisation process, and excess ammonia removed to ensure that the veneers and lumber can be processed immediately.
The product is changed permanently by the fuming process, so unlike stains or dyes, the colour is not a surface finish but is throughout the material. As a result, scratching or processing the surface does not expose lighter-coloured material beneath.
Winwood Products is a supplier of Fumed / Smoked Oak panels & worktops offering the following configurations/options:
(Click heading or image for full details of thicknesses & panel sizes)
- Special order in minimum 5 sheets per item
- 20mm & 26mm thick
- Standard panel sizes from 810x1250mm up to max. 3000x1250mm
- D3 water resistant bonding
- Calibrated to 80 grit as standard
- Faces protected with shrinkwrapping
- Can be supplied raw or coated with various coatings such as clear lacquer or oil
Specially ordered in minimum 5 per item, fumed / smoked oak Triply three-layer panels are constructed from 5mm full-length faces bonded either side of a cross-banded 10mm or 16mm finger jointed core. The faces are made from strips of random width of 50-140mm wide.
Can be supplied cut or machined to pattern, and prefinished with lacquer, oil, wax or special finishes
Technical details (general)
- Special sizes:
- In principle, any size can be produced up to the maximum stated above
- Length/width: up to 1m @ ±1mm, up to 2m @ ±2mm , 2m & above @ ±3mm
- Thickness: +0.2mm, -0.5mm
- (Others by arrangement)
- Face grades:
- A/B, others by arrangement
- Bonding Quality:
- D3 - Limited high moisture applications
- Other features:
- Other woods can be incorporated into the construction of the panel to achieve a decorative or contrasting effect